Thursday, November 7, 2013

Pumpkin Recycling

Why Bother Composting Pumpkins?


pumpkin recycling
Pumpkin Recycling 2013
  For the past three years I have posted a Recycle Pumpkins sign on our front lawn, at first my neighbors were a bit puzzled. Why would she want our old pumpkins? They now have a better understanding what all the fuss is about. 

   To say that I am passionate about collecting one of  North America's native squashes is an understatement. I do however have several good reasons to do so. The first: Potassium, Phosphorous and Nitrogen. When pumpkins are no longer illuminated by lively little candles they begin to decay and wither away; that is when the "dance" begins"! Microorganisms transform our Halloween delights into useable nutrients for our soil then ultimately our plants. 




jack-o-lantern recycled
Image by Roger Dahlin

Brown vs Orange


    A second reason is the Carbon to Nitrogen ratio of my compost pile. This ratio is basically the proportion of "brown" material like leaves to "green" like pumpkins. In the case of composting pumpkins it is more like brown to orange. Ideally compost piles function best with a ratio 30/1.

   The five families in my neighborhood who are generously raking their leaves and filling my bins are contributing a tremendous amount of carbon (brown leaves) and very little nitrogen (green) to my piles. Although their efforts are truly appreciated it is important that I locate an inexpensive, easy to move source of nitrogen. I have found that ratios don't have to be exact. However, when it is close compost heats up, breaks down and presto...after a several turnings early in the spring I am rewarded with dark rich humus that is to die for.


 No Dancing in the Landfills


 
pretty carved pumpkin
So very pretty!


   Another practical point is the capacity of our landfills. I can't image that there is a dump in the country that couldn't do with a little less debris. In the scheme of things, the 300 lbs of pumpkins and 50 bags of leaves that we as a neighborhood have collected most likely would not fill the back of a garbage truck. However, I have to remind my self that change takes time, hopefully the example that each of us sets will have a positive influence on the actions of other residence.

  For this season I am proud that five less families are not burning their leaves and that several dozen pumpkins have abandon an uneventful life in a landfill. No "dancing"... very little decomposition happens in our landfills!!

Maybe in the future my neighbors will have their own compost piles. Then I will be out of 
luck!



pumpkin compost
I would love to meet the person who carved this.. so happy!




Compost Heals the Soil 

 

  The examples that I have mentioned are certainly benefits of composting. However the most important reason to compost is, this is nature's way of healing the soil. The principles that athletes must implement to reach their highest potential also apply to the soil: work, hydrate, nourishment and rest. Athletes like soil can make do for a period of time without paying attention to details, pushing the limit going the extra mile. It may take years, but eventually problems creep in sore feet, fatigue and exhaustion. Our soil is the same way it can only take so much abuse and neglect before it cries out for a replenishing compost siesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment