Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Benjamin Franklin Garden, Old Brooklyn, Ohio

Exploring a Community Treasure


by Beth Coyne
the wooden sign that outside the garden that says Benjamin Franklin Garden

 Last week I was invited by Cuyahoga County Master Gardener Rita Robinson to visit the Benjamin Frankin Garden, located in Old Brooklyn. Her e-mail said "If you've never been here, you should visit. It's amazing! The gardening program for 4th graders started in the 20's and continues today.

 Note to myself.. when someone says something is amazing and you should visit, my advice. Go! Stop what you think you need to do, breath then rest. I trust you too will have the luck of the Irish and discover this magical oasis tucked neatly away in a  neighborhood south-east of the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. My original mission was to seek then photograph:native plants, the pollinator gardens, herb gardens and the Tiny Metroparks, then quickly head back home. Oh dear, I lingered well over an hour on this five acre site and discovered so much more! 





All are Welcome!Plastic white chair with tomatoes sitting on it


 When I arrived early last Tuesday, just after 9 am, the garden was still yawning, a man and a women were also on a mission, harvesting the last fruits of their labor. I sensed pride, determination and gratitude. They nodded my way but expressed an unspoken message. I was welcome but they had work to do and could not chat or answer any questions I might have.


This suited me well as I was forced to use my imagination. Whose chair was this? I pictured an elderly Polish women dressed in her calico dress with a flowery hat perched on her head. I couldn't help but think her message went something like this; rest a bit, I gladly share both my chair and the bounty of my labor with those who need the gift of kindness and freindship. Who were the Reitters, Basich, and the Provenz's? 

Little white stakes with hand written names lined the paths. Were these last names or coded messages? I couldn't be sure. Not that the Benjamin Franklin Garden needed it but theses markers along with: garden art, annual flowers and picked fences certainly added additional charm.




community garden white fence with white name tag that reads Rietter
Garden row with white stakes that have names on them 






Have the children given the garden art names? Perhaps this is Charlottet or Amelia? I like to think they have!



Funny garden art with a pink nose and green hat and huge funny sunglases
Charlotte it is!

a metal owl with eyes that are made out of springs
 Amelia?

Caution Honeybees hard at work do not disturb signI must have missed the Monarch Way-station sign but I am certain it was there. Everything needed to earn this certificate was provided: water, shelter, numerous native plants as well as annuals like Zinnia's which are packed full of nutritional nectar and of course milkweed for the Monarch caterpillars. My not so wild guess is that somewhere on the property was a Certified Wildlife Habitat sign. Everything to fulfill this requirement was provide: plenty of water, shelter to raise young combined with a wide host of native plants that provide food for not only butterflies but both native and honey bees.



A long row of beautiful Zinnia's
 I had forgotten how much I love Zinnia's




Green Thumbs and the Proper Equipment


 This Group of Gardeners not only has green thumbs but they know what equipment it takes to get the work done. I noticed many items that would make ones life easier. What I didn't realize as there are also: restrooms, locked steel containers, tools to use, picnic tables to rest and grab a bite. I thought water bottles for  $.50/each was a  wise added touch.




Wash basin next to huge old Pin Oak
Wash Basin next to Pin Oak

It is impossible not to notice the Pin Oak towering over the washbasin. How generous of it to provide shade during hot summer days, nesting spots for numerous birds and food for squirrels and other small animals. In the book Bringing Nature Home we are reminded by author Douglas W. Tallamy that oak trees support 534 different lepidoptera species, this order includes: butterflies, moths and skippers.

I couldn't help but wondered how old the tree was and how many 4th graders did it take to hold hands and circle the tree? 

Huge compost bin that has three different sections
Trifecta Compost Bin!!
dill plant that has gone to seed
Dill!

 I was pretty confident that this was an organic garden long before I read the Rules and Regulations page, which states only compost is permitted on the garden soil. Dill confirmed my suspicion. My eyesight and hearing may not be what it used to be but I can still scout things out like an old hound dog. Sure enough I found it! Chemicals of any type would have interfered with my internal radar.

We think of Dill and we think of pickles. Did you know that Dill is the host plant for the caterpillar of the Black Swallowtail? Bring on the pickles!





Imagine a Day When There is Residential Organic Waste Pick up



garbage bin that says Full Cycle Organics


I was curious so I took a picture of this compost bin. I wasn't sure what full cycle organics were. I took a peek inside, there were: old tomatoes, rotten peppers and a few weeds. It appeared to be  typical compost material to me. Indeed it was! It turns out Full Cycle Organic is a business in Cleveland, Ohio, USA that picks up food waste from business and converts it into compost!! Now that is a great, green business plan!!


two water fauces with two  hoses connected to them
Hoses sure make the job easier!


wood sweet little wooden angle wearing a straw hat and flowered coat. The sign says Garden Angle
All Gardens need an Angle!



Row of wheel barrows near the Ben Franklin Garden
The back saving parking lot!


One Garden Many Suburbs! 


This magnificent gem is one garden divided into numerous subdivisions. I hope that I didn't miss any. The Herb Garden is one of the gardens maintained by the Cuyahoga County Master Gardeners. They have a wonderful web page that list all the amazing programs they are involved with. Their work deserves a second post.

Pollinator garden signBenjamin Franklin Elementary School Garden - Youth Garden
Herb Demonstration Garden maintained by Cuyahoga County Master Gardeners
Teeny Tiny Metroparks sign






Oh Yes the Natives!


Sorry, I got side tracked by all the lovely sights, sounds and smells that I forgot I was on a mission to locate wildflowers. There is no need to introduce these native Ohio species as the plant identification markers say it all.  



Native bee on a yellow flower from a Jerusalem Artichoke native plantsign that says Jerusalem Artichoke Helianthus tuberosus
I understand that some folks eat the Jerusalem artichoke tubers. Since they were growing in the community garden I am assuming that is the case. Has anyone eaten them? If so how do they taste? How are they prepared? I am also wondering if I can over-winter the tubers I have growing here at NOG or should I leave them in the ground and dig them up next spring. Questions, Questions, Questions!!! 


Wild & Crazy Bergamot!!

sign that says Monarda fistulosa Wild Bergamotwild Bergamot plant that has gone to seed


Our Friendly Uncle Joe Pye


joe-pye-weed plant growing in the garden
Joe-pye-weed



Hum a native cactus you say? Oh Yes Pickly Pear Cactus! A friend from the market gave me a several a few years back; I am making progress and am beginning to build a nice little cacti population.


prickly pear cactus floweringsign that reads Prickly Pear cactus


This garden is the antithesis of prickly. If it weren't for the work that needed to be accomplished I would have plopped myself down one of the nice quiet benches, grabbed my native plant books from the car and rested longer much longer!

Directions

The garden is located behind Benjamin Franklin Elementary School - Map  

1905 Spring Rd, 44109 Cleveland,Ohio  I am pretty sure I saw a sign that said the garden was closing for the season on October 14, 2017 

No comments:

Post a Comment