Monday, February 3, 2014

How to Grow Milkweed From Seed


 Raising Milkweed from Seed is Easier than You Think

 

Butterfly  Weed, Swamp Milkweed, Purple Milkweed seeds
Butterfly Weed, Swamp, Poke Milkweed
  Don't be intimidated by the term stratifying. Stratifying native plant seed is nothing more than, “tricking” seed into believing it is time to rev up their engines and start growing. Plants that are native to Ohio have a built in “safety mechanism", which prevents them from starting the germination process until conditions are optimal, length of daylight and ground temperature are a few of the ways seeds receive their "signal" that spring has arrived. If species like Asclepias (milkweed) are duped in to believing spring was right around the corner during the first January thaw their seedling survival rate would certainly plummet.




Deceiving Your Milkweed  Seeds




Purple milkweed seedling
   Time Needed for Cold/moist storage – 30 days of cold moist storage will unlock milkweed seed dormancy. Small ziplock plastic bags with a few tablespoons of vermiculite work wells for winter storage.  Add only enough water to the seed and vermiculite mixture to moisten. I am still searching for a more sustainable option.

    Scheduling a seed planting weekend in February, then working backwards makes it easy to determine when to begin the chilling process. Generally a longer storage period like 60 to 90 days is not detrimental to seed. Long term dry storage is a topic for a future blog post. Keep in mind that not all native seed require the same length and sequence of warm/cold storage. Prairie Moon Nurseries's cataglog is a great reference for learning specific native seed stratification requirements.


 

 It is the Native Plant Propagators Responsibility to Convince Seed... Spring has “Arrived”.




stratifying milkweed seed
Preparing seeds for cold storage

Labeling - It is important to label your plastic bags with seed name and date cold storage began. I like to write myself reminder notes on a calendar. Date cold storage will be complete is also useful.

Where to Store – The meat bin in our our refrigerator serves as a storage bin for stratifying seed. Plastic organic lettuce containers are also useful for organizing and storing seed.




                  "Teach your children not to pick flowers but to sow them, and a whole generation starts out with a fresh approach to nature" 


Bebe Miles - 1969 - Bluebells & Bittersweet


Planting Your Seeds





Two year old Common Milkweed plants
Two year old Common Milkweed plants
Soil - Suremix Perennial potting soil which contains: perlite, peat, wetting agent and bark works well. Certainly, other fine potting mixes are available.
 

Containers - Plastic seed cells (containers) are available at your local nursery. If you do recycle your cells, as I do, be sure to sterilize them. In the past I have soaked mine in 10% dilute solution of chloride bleach. I would love to advise you to use a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution or one made with vinegar as mentioned in Hub Pages, however, I don't have firsthand experience with this method. I can say using a dilute solution of vinegar in our home for cleaning purposes has kept us healthy. Mixing Hydrogen Peroxide and vinegar is not advisable.

Planting - It is best not to over crowd your seeds, they have an uncanny ability to delay growth until conditions are favorable. One or two seeds per square inch works well. When packing your cells (containers) it is important to fill them almost to the top with soil, be careful not to pack the soil to tightly as air needs to circulate. Seeds and roots both need oxygen in order to develop properly.

  
Sullivans Milkweed -Second season
Sullivans Milkweed -Second season
Artificial Light Hanging florescent lights, one cool white, and one warm from wire racks is a simple and inexpensive way to provide the necessary 14 to 16 hours of light that young seedling require for adequate growth.The amount of light varies from the middle to the end of the bulbs; rotating seed tray helps distribute light evenly. Keeping the light bulbs just a few inches above growth is critical. Be certain your lights are secure, more than once while adjusting light height I have dropped a heavy florescent light on a tray of seedlings. Ugh!

Watering - Knowing when and how much to water seedlings takes practice. The soil needs to remain damp but not soggy. Spray bottles work well but they are not especially durable. A friend suggested using empty dish soap bottles. I like that idea as not only are they easy to use... they are “free”.

Fertilizer -  In the past I have experienced success using a diluted solution of all purpose fertilizer. Experimenting with fish and seaweed fertilizer is a goal for this season. Either way go easy; seeds have a nutrient reserve that keeps them nourished and satisfied until their first true leaves emerge.




Purple Milkweed First Year
Purple Milkweed First Year

 

Most Milkweeds Flower Their Seconds Season 

 

 

Whorled Milkweed
Whorled Milkweed


  Although I have concocted a few methods of "out smarting" milkweed seed, generally it operates in its own time frame. Most Asclepias species spend their first season establishing an extensive root system and their second producing blooms. Butterfly Weed - Asclepais tuberosa has proven to be an exception.
    
   If you are truly interested in learning how to propagate native plants it will be important to give yourself permission to fail. I can’t tell you the number of seed packages I have purchased before experiencing a bit of success. I have kept all of the empty packages as a reminder of how tedious the process can be. 


 


 Raising Native Plants is a lot Like Raising Kids

 

Goat kid on mother goat
Sweet Pea Cheese Farm
    Raising native plants is a lot like raising kids, both the two legged and four. Each matures at their own speed, not all requiring the same conditions to thrive. You will quickly discover that some Like Rudbeckia triloba ( Brown-Eyed- Susans) prefer "socializing" in neighbors yards others like  Arisaema triphyllum (Jack-in the Pulpits) flower when they "feel" like it.


    It wish I could advise you to let your native plants progress at their own pace but that would go against my natural tendencies. For me the fun is challenging plants like Purple Milkweed to see how they fair in various conditions. Surprisingly, Asclepias purpurascens ( Purple Milkweed) was extremely accommodating, flowering in a variety of situations.



Purple Milkweed First year
Purple Milkweed First year

For Detailed Cultivation Information



We raise four different milkweed species at NOG if you are interested in learning more information on each species you can visit our website




2/11/14 - Notes to Myself-  Whorled Milkweed Seed from NY - After 2 moths - in cold/moist storage ziplock bag moldy (red) - cleaned seed and put in freezer. Will not reuse this bag. Experiment leaving little downy not a good one.  I am wondering if the red color was chemical in seed dissolving on downy. Checking into this

2/14/14 - Cleaning Plastic Bags - After cold storage rinsed baggies and soak in 50% vinegar solution, soak 1 hour rinsed and let air dry

35 comments:

  1. Excellent post Beth! I am feeling more comfortable now to try starting Milkweed from seed! I look forward to the day I see my first Monarch feasting on Milkweed that I grew in my gardens. Spring fever is here, of course on a day that it is snowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth! The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I collected wild seed in February after at least 2 months of freezing temps but have kept them at room temperature since, do I have to "re-stratify" them or can I just go ahead and plant them? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I apologize for not seeing this sooner. Did you have any luck with your milkweed seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article here!
    Please join us in helping to promote the Milkweed Highway! Anyone (or any group) in the US or Canada that plants and maintains some milkweed plants can quickly and easily join. There’s no cost, it’s free. Our dream is to get millions of new native milkweeds planted…to create a “Highway” of butterfly-friendly milkweeds coast to coast.
    Do it for your kids, do it for our world, and do it for the pollinators and the butterflies. We strongly urge you to join the Milkweed Highway. It takes just a minute or two…download photos too if you’ve got them!

    Please visit: http://www.milkweedhighway.org or http://www.safegardening.org/highway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I blog frequently and I truly appreciate your information. The article has
    really peaked my interest. I'm going to take a note of your site and keep checking for new information about once a week.
    I opted in for your Feed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I'm quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
    Extremely useful info particularly the ultimate part :
    ) I take care of such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a
    very long time. Thank you and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4!
    Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts!
    Carry on the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Normally I don't learn article on blogs, however I wish to say
    that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do so!
    Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, quite nice article.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs?
    I have a blog based on the same information you discuss and would
    love to have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would enjoy
    your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e
    mail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sure this post has touched all the internet people, its really
    really nice article on building up new weblog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Incredible points. Sound arguments. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I truly love your website.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you create this web site yourself? Please reply back
    as I'm wanting to create my very own site and want to find out where you got this from or what the theme is named.
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wanted to thank you for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it.
    I've got you book marked to look at new things you post…

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read this piece of writing completely about the comparison of most up-to-date and preceding technologies, it's
    remarkable article.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, superb weblog structure! How long have you been running a blog for?
    you make running a blog look easy. The full glance
    of your website is great, let alone the content!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Incredible story there. What happened after? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi colleagues, its impressive paragraph regarding cultureand entirely explained, keep it up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We stumbled over here coming from a different page and thought I
    may as well check things out. I like what I see so i am just following
    you. Look forward to checking out your web page yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My partner and I stumbled over here by a different web address and
    thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you.
    Look forward to looking at your web page for a second time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Greetings I am so thrilled I found your webpage,
    I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Bing for something else,
    Regardless I am here now and would just like
    to say thanks for a marvelous post and a all round interesting
    blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to go through it all at the moment but I have saved it and also
    added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will
    be back to read more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to give it a look.
    I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm
    book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Great blog and great design and style.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post.
    Many thanks for providing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good day! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of
    my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this.
    I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a
    good read. Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi there, You have done a great job. I'll certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I am confident they will be benefited from this website.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is really a great and helpful piece of info. I
    am happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us.

    Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

    Plz respond as I'm looking to create my own blog
    and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was
    super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted
    and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to everything.

    Do you have any helpful hints for rookie blog
    writers? I'd really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. An outstanding share! I've just forwarded this onto a
    co-worker who has been doing a little research on this.
    And he in fact ordered me dinner due to the fact that I found it for him...
    lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!!

    But yeah, thanks for spending the time to talk about this matter here on your internet
    site.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am no longer sure the place you are getting your information, but good topic.
    I must spend some time studying much more or working out more.
    Thanks for excellent info I used to be in search of this info for my mission.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It is not my first time to visit this site, i am visiting this website dailly and
    get fastidious data from here daily.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This info is priceless. How can I find out more?

    ReplyDelete
  34. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your website offered us with valuable information to work on. You've done an impressive job and our entire community will be thankful to
    you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This was my first year growing milkweed from seed ,i didnt that i had to stratified them until i was looking throught my box of seeds to sd if i needed to purchase any more.All i did was place the seeds between moist paper tower then in a ziploc bag and put it in the fridge,and voila they all germinate to my surprise.

    ReplyDelete