Thursday, September 26, 2013

Butterfly Habitat


  Monarch Butterfly Release


Monarch Butterfly Nodding Onion Gardens
Hesitant at First

This is part two from blog post 9/25/2013


 There was a part of me that didn't want to let her go. She had everything she needed in my yard, 40 or more different native plant species and numerous clusters of New England Asters all in full bloom. Her choice: deep purple, rose or burgundy, tall or short, sun or slightly shady. In the spring she would have a selection of seven different milkweed species. We have water and lots of mud puddles. I am sure I could arrange to have a male visit once or twice in June.





 She Needed to Spread Her Wings!

 

 

Monarch butterfly on New England Aster
Stretching her wings

 


  








  The reality was it was I who wanted her to stay. I realized this morning that yesterday's trips to the road and telephone pole were not hapless decisions; she knew her wings would dry faster on the sunny warm tar or the thin dry pole. I most likely delayed her travel plans. On the other hand self preservation instincts probably don't include kids on bikes and slow moving vehicles.


 Lorain County Metro Parks

 

 

Monarch butterfly Lorain County Metro Parks, Ohio
Just as happy with fading asters


  I decide to take her to the Lorain County Metro Parks, Columbia Park located in Columbia Station, Ohio (USA), just a few miles from my house. It would have been much more fun to set her in my yard and keep an eye on things. However, I know myself; I would have checked on her two zillion times worried and fretted the entire day. For both of our sakes I chose the park.

 The particular trail where I took her is as close to a prairie environment as you will find in our community. Hopefully the 1/2 mile hike from the highway will function well as a "runway" south. Several species of asters and golden a rod would serve as her pre-flight meal.





  Getting Her Barrings

  

 

Monarch learning to fly
A little to the left
  It took her a bit to balance herself and stretch her wings. I stood there like a mother putting her child on the kindergarten school bus; snapping 30 or more pictures of the same pose. I was filled with both pride and sadness as she practiced using her wings.

 I didn't stay to see lift off, the dogs were antsy and the reality was I had done more than she actually needed. The rest was up to her!





Monarch getting better at flying
A little more to the right
 



Ready for Take Off!




Monarch on New England Asters
Almost



Perfect Flight Conditions

 

 Conditions were ideal for Monarch travel; temperatures above 60°F make for smooth sailing. The Cleveland area (Ohio, USA) was sunny, 67°F, winds from north at 5 miles an hour with only a slight chance of rain. The weather was certainly cooperating!


false aster
Light snack for the flight - False Aster

 

 

"The winners in life treat their bodies as if they were magnificent spacecrafts

 that gives them the finest transportation and endurance of their lives"

 Denis Waitley

The winners in life treat their body as if it were a magnificent spacecraft that gives them the finest transportation and endurance for their lives.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/deniswaitl146926.html#RxWWo8xjcUoXpuQI.99
The winners in life treat their body as if it were a magnificent spacecraft that gives them the finest transportation and endurance for their lives.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/deniswaitl146926.html#RxWWo8xjcUoXpuQI.99









Trail at Metro Parks Lorain County Ohio
Her runway!
Things I wish I had know before my guest arrived, A Journey North:Monarch Butterfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment