Monday, July 22, 2013

Honey Bee Swarm Removal

 

Craig  Dahlin the Honey Bee Rescuer


July 16, 2013

Craig Dahlin near a train
Craig Dahlin riding the Adirondack Railway
    Our phone conversation started with, "Have you ever seen a swarm of honey bees?" I hesitated before answering; it was my brother Craig on the line.

   We are having a unofficial, friendly "bee counting contest", Craig was winning hands down. Even with my suburban backyard full of native plants I can't compete with the diversity that Craig and his wife Moon Eagle Arndt have added to their rural Pennsylvania (USA) property.

  I begrudgingly admitted that the only swarm of bees that I have ever seen was on National Geographic.


 

 Craig & Moon Eagle's Gourmet Garden

 

Craig Dahlin and Moon Eagle Ardnt's raised garden bed

   The fugitive honey bee swarm knew what they were looking for when they settled in on Craig and Moon Eagle's property; this was not a one course diner. If  they were seeking a smorgasbord they came to the right place. This yard is a delight, for both honey bees and the numerous native bee species that frequent the gardens.

   The couple strategically planted their 1 acre lot with five different types of fruit trees including: apple, peach, plum, pear and cherry. They are also raising: blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and elderberries. I certainly cannot forget Craig's wine making grapes: Concord and Niagara.

   Several raised beds happily support: basil, parsley, oregano, sunflowers, tomatoes, peppers, turnips, rhubarb, pumpkins, zucchini, bok choy, radishes, beans, peas and collard greens. Wow! This swarm hit the jack pot! Surprisingly, eight years ago when they purchased this property it was a traditional yard, with lots of grass and a few bushes. In addition to all the luscious edible's, Moon Eagle has introduce a wide selection of native plants which of courses "makes my heart sing".


Don't Wear Out Your Welcome!

 

Craig Dahlin and Moon Eagle Ardnt's Property
   Not only did the bees locate an incredible food supply; they also had their choice of several buildings where they could take up residence. If I were the queen bee I would chose the historical bread making structure. Not only is it nice and cozy, but I suspect the old chimney would make an easy entrance and exit.  

   What if they wore out their welcome? If Craig did nothing and they chose one of his out buildings he would be forced to take action that he truly wasn't comfortable with. The Question remained. What to do?



How Many Honey Bees Are There?






   Stay Calm everyone and they won't hurt you. Craig estimated there were 20,000 bees buzzing around. I will have to ask him where he got that figure.


Swarm of bees hanging in a maple tree

This is what Craig was looking at when he called me. The Swam decided to take a siesta in a maple tree, right over his head. I wondered if they were noisy? Craig informed me that as a matter of fact they were.


Close up picture of the swarm of bees


Craig explained that the Queen bee was easy to spot as she is the largest, the males (drones) will follow her everywhere. How he got close enough to take this picture is beyond me, talk about staying calm under pressure.

In our second conversation, I asked how in the world did you take this picture? Do you have a zoom lens or something fancy like that? Oh no I leaned the ladder against the tree and peered in. Keep in mind Craig wasn't doing this out of uneducated foolishness, he has been studying the habits of bees for several years and realized that the males were preoccupied by the Queen. As long as he moved slowly he would be fine.

I don't recommend doing the same thing.


Neighborhood  Beekeeper to the Rescue!



After several phone calls Craig connected with John, a local bee keeper. He promised that he would be right there and he was. Three hours later I received these images from Craig..


Bee Keeper getting ready to take bees from tree

John with his bee keeper's suit and the veil to match, now he can get down to business.



Bee keeper in in a tree removing a swam
        Easy does it fellows... I won't hurt Her!



Bee Keeper with swarm of bees
Could you please help me with the swarm?



Bee Keeper done with his work

I need a break! With temperatures above 90 °F., It must have been warm in that suit.



Bee Keeper wtih thumbs up sign - after saving swarm of bees

Mission accomplished! Thank you John!


Box of bees ready to be moved into a hive
I have been trying to figure out why the bees would stay in this box. Thankfully Craig called again and explained that John cut the branch out of the tree and set it in the box; left over honey enticed the bees to stay.



A box of bees, ready for transport to their new home.... I mean hive.



July 21, 2013

"John came and moved the bees to his house and their new home. It was sad, we liked watching the bees arrive loaded with pollen from our garden!
 
The hives sure was active. I now have the bee bug! Can’t wait to atte
nded the Xerces Society's Pollinator Conservation Planning."


Craig Dahlin

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog! How accommodating the bees were to everyone! What a fascinating experience it must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Informative article, exaϲtly whаt I needed.

    ReplyDelete