Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Jack-in the Pulpit & Turtlehead




Jack-in-the-Pulpit , Arisaema triphyllum, propagating Jack-in-the-Pulpit

Jack-in-the-Pulpit - Arisaema triphyllum

When most people clean out their refrigerator they find spoiled food; not me. Yesterday, I found two bags of Jack-in- the Pulpit corms and one bag of Smooth Blue Iris seeds. I had put them in for a second cold storage back in July, then life got a little busy and I forgot all about them.

I almost didn’t bother to open the bags, assuming the vermiculite would be moldy. Then it dawned on me… they had been “tricked” into a period of dormancy. I re-potted my 30 or so corms then set them in the window. Jack-in- the Pulpits are very slow growers, so these guys won’t see the market until 2014. My potting soil is a mixture of peat moss, vermiculite, perlite and Happy Frog potting soil.


Turtlehead, Chelone glabra, Propagating Turtlead
Turtlehead - By Roger Dahlin


Stratifying  Turtlehead - Chelone glabra - 120 days of Cold storage  

 I collected my own seeds this year; my original seeds were from Prairie Moon Nursery, in Minnesota. After three year I have more than enough for myself. This is the way I prepare my seeds for propagation. Of course there are many ways to  "skin a cat", I would love to hear tips and suggestions from other gardeners.


1. Drying - Let the seeds dry out in a paper bag in the Garage.

2. Seeds-   A handful of seed goes into a clean zip lock bag, I considered using empty 1lb coffee or empty dried fruit bags, but I have a funny feeling the coffee residue may interfere with seed germination, The Effect of Coffee Residue on Seed Germination. That sounds like a science experiment in the making. 

The fruit bags may not be the best solution either, as ripening fruit releases ethylene gas which is known to retard seed germination. To be on the safe side I am using clean bags for next's year’s market plants and experimenting with vinegar soaked bags for seeds I am willing to sacrifice.


3. Vermiculite -  Use 1/4 cup or so of vermiculite along with just enough water to moisten. It is important that the seeds are moist not swimming the back stroke. Don't forget to mark the name, date in and expected date out on the outside of the bag with a permanent marker.. I mention this as I have forgotten to mark plant dates numerous time, creating a mid-winter game of  Can I Identify That Seedling.


4. Timing -  I started my Turtlehead seeds a little late on purpose this year. I sell my plants in their second season so there really isn't any reason to start them to early, other than the fact it is fun to have green sprouts in February. I am trying to eliminate a month of florescent light usage.



1 comment: